This, the second block in my Block of the Month quilt ‘Dreamcatcher Round the Year’ , is a favourite of mine! For those of you who came in late, this quilt is being made in two colourways. The first, Dusk is in blues, oranges and yellows of a brilliant sunset, while the second, Rainbow is a more modern version with rainbow colours set against grey and sky blue.
This particular block went through several reincarnations before acquiring its present form, but that deserves its vey own blogpost! It was tested for me by Nikhat Syeda Arshia and by Sobana Sundar, who has shared her adventure of testing an earlier version of the block here.I am not including any photos in this post to help you along as you construct the block, as I do not have access to them at the moment – they are being extracted from a hard drive which developed “bad sectors”! If you are new to paper piecing, you may like to get your fabric and templates ready and wait for the post with pictures, which should come up in a few days.
But I do have the block pattern, including the paper piecing templates, fabric requirement and cutting instructions, right here… These instructions can also be downloaded in .pdf format from the link at the end of this post.
These are instructions for the “Dusk ” colourway. The fabric requirements for the Rainbow colourway will be shared in a couple of days! Finished Block size: 18″ square with 15″ inset circle The block is paper foundation pieced before being assembled.
Fabric Requirement and Cutting Instructions*
Corrigendum : Read Medium Blue Code 11 as Code 1 in chart above.
When cutting fabric for the background, add a margin of 1/2 ” to 1″ on the outer (straight) edge.
INSTRUCTIONSTake print outs of the .pdf Template file at 100% size. You have the following templates:
- 8 arc templates numbered I to P for the outer ring of flying geese
- 8 templates A to H for the inner ‘pond’
- Template S in 2 pieces S1 and S2 for one quarter of the outside square.
- Piece the templates A to H
Piece the flying geese templates I to P
- Join A to I, B to J, C to K …H to P
- Join AI to BJ to get quarter circle AIBJ; similarly assemble CKDL, EMFN and GOHP
- Join the quarter circles to Q, R, S and T respectively to get four quarters of your final block.
- Assemble the 4 squares; square up the block to 18.5″ – we are done!
Refer to the Master template below as a guide when assembling the paper pieced templates.You can also use it to try out your own colour schemes; use colour pencils!
Download files from here:
- Block02 Dusk-Evening at Pond Instructions File Revised- Block Two – Dusk – Evening at the Pond
- RtY02 Dusk-Evening at the pond Templates- Block Two – Dusk – Evening at the Pond
Please note that the downloadable patterns with paper piecing templates and instruction files for the Dreamcatcher Round the Year quilt blocks are being migrated to my store MadsPatch and will not be available for download for free from 15th November 2020 onwards.