This, EVENING AT THE POND, the second block in my Block of the Month quilt ‘Dreamcatcher Round the Year’ , is a favourite of mine! For those of you who came in late, this quilt is being made in two colourways. The first, Dusk is in blues, oranges and yellows of a brilliant sunset, while the second, Rainbow is a more modern version with rainbow colours set against grey and sky blue.
This particular block went through several reincarnations before acquiring its present form, but that deserves its vey own blogpost! It was tested for me by Nikhat Syeda Arshia and by Sobana Sundar, who has shared her adventure of testing an earlier version of the block on her blog.
These are instructions for the “Rainbow ” colourway, including the paper piecing templates, fabric requirement and cutting instructions. These instructions can also be downloaded in a printable .pdf format from the link at the end of this post.
The fabric requirement for the Dusk colourway was posted a few days ago.
The block is paper foundation pieced before being assembled. The finished block size is 18″ square with an inset circle of 15″ diameter.
Fabric Requirement and Cutting Instructions
Cut the 2″ X50″ grey strip for the pond into 12 rectangles – 4 strips each of 5″, 4.5″ and 3.5″.
- Take a print out of the template.pdf file at with printer setting at 100% or actual size. You have the following templates:
- 8 arc templates numbered I to P for the outer ring of flying geese
- 8 templates A to H for the inner ‘pond’
- Template S in 2 pieces S1 and S2 for one quarter of the outside square.
- Piece the templates A to H
Piece the flying geese templates I to P
- Join A to I, B to J, C to K …H to P
- Join AI to BJ to get quarter circle AIBJ; similarly assemble CKDL, EMFN and GOHP
- Join the quarter circles to Q, R, S and T respectively to get four quarters of your final block.
- Assemble the 4 squares; square up the block to 18.5″ – we are done!
Refer to the Master template below as a guide when assembling the paper pieced templates.
You can also use it to try out your own colour schemes; use colour pencils!
I would love to see pictures of your completed blocks on my facebook page “Patchwork of My Life” – a link is on the sidebar!
1. Paper piecing template – Rainbow Evening at the Pond , Block Two of Round the Year Quilt
2 Instructions -Rainbow Evening at the Pond , Block Two of Round the Year Quilt
Please note that the downloadable patterns with paper piecing templates and instruction files for the Dreamcatcher Round the Year quilt blocks are being migrated to my store MadsPatch and will not be available for download for free from 15th November 2020 onwards