This month I am trying to catch up on the blocks of my Round the Year quilt, which had become pending when I was laid up for 3 months with a bad back!
I finished piecing the Dresden ring of blades and started work on the pixellated centre.
Step 1 – Drew an inch grid on one-sided lightweight fusible interfacing.
Step 2 – Cut one inch squares from fabric for pixels
Step 3 – Arranged the fabric squares on the sticky side of the fusible interfacing and pressed them on place.
Yesterday I sewed the squares in place! Let me take you through my day…
Step 4 Sewing the Centre
Flipping over to the interfacing side, I crease a row along the inch grid line. I take the standard 1/4″ seam on the fold. I was glad I had cut the centre into two, because I did not have to clip the thread after every seam, I could kind of chain stitch the two pieces!
Now the seams have to be opened. I insert a small pair of scissors into the stitched interfacing to do this – mine are not sharp enough. I also tried trimming off the edge with a roller cutter, but this was not very satifactory either! The thinner seam is even more unmanageable.
This was the stage I discover that a small square had a mind of its own. I have to rip open the seam to insert it into the interfacing.
I then press open the seams. This was the toughest part – I hated it! That is why I probably forgot to take a picture! Now for the columns. I crease the columns on the grid and start sewing a 1/4″ seam…
…and again I discover a problem! I had left too much of the interfacing on the corners bare. So there is more ripping and insertion of fabric squares…
At long last, the columns are also done!
This is how it looks from the back.
Oh my God! I shudder at the thought of more pressing of those seams. So I skip the pressing and decide to move to the next step.
The Final Step
The centre will be ready at 7″, and I wanted a 1/2″ seam allowance, so I cut an 8″circle (diameter) from freezer paper. I press it on the right side of the pieced centre and cut out the citcle.
Back to the ironing table. This time I use steam, and have instant success!
I have had a tough day and am still trying to work out how this will be attached to the ring…but I will think about it tomorrow.
Tomorrow is another day.