Nearly Insane – Block 61

I find this block really pretty and intended it to be my first block! In the original quilt it is really striking in solid yellow and red.  

Block 61 – not as perfect as I would wish!

 

It was actually tougher than it looks. I made those 16 squares using 3 different methods. A couple of them were done with tiny squares being joined diagonally to the corners of the bigger square and flipping open the inner triangle to the corner. For another two I drew foundation paper templates on printer paper. For the rest I used freezer paper foundation piecing templates. This is how they looked, ready for assembly!

 

Ready for assembly…

 
It took me nearly two hours to assemble that – there were dozens of points to be matched, and too many layers of fabric. Not so simple in a block of this size. I am not very happy with more about half a dozen of those points…wondering if I should re-do them. Perhaps later, when I am assembling them. When compared, English paper piecing (EPP) is so much more accurate and pretty!

Tomorrow, I’ll be cutting fabric for the next seven blocks and start working on them next week.  I’ll do an EPP block next, methinks! It has 4 eight-pointed stars and is really lovely! 

One more pic of the block, on point this time!

  

Vital Stats

No of pieces –80

Difficulty level – Moderately difficult

Technique used – foundation paper piecing with freezer paper ( fold away) method

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s