It finishes at 72″ X 90″ – it shall definitely need borders! And since I have run out of the grey printed background fabric, will have to make do with grey solid. Everything is going into cold storage now – I have a son getting married in exactly two months’ time 🙂
I must add a picture of what inspired the colours of my quilt – a sunset in the monsoons!
TodayI cut and pieced 3 blocks of my Just takes 2 quilt! I shall assemble them tomorrow. They are all paper foundation pieced and came up fast…
These cute aeroplane blocks shall also have some applique add-ons.
Here is the third – the bear’s paw block !
I shall do the back basting for an appliqué block later, if I feel like it!
What is terrifying me is the thought that I may be running out of the background fabric. I had bought 5 and a half metres from a store in Jodhpur exactly a year ago and neither I nor the cousin with whom I bought it remember which! So anyone who comes across this fabric, please buy me 3 metres 🙂 That shall take care of the borders too!
And this – it was foundation pieced! I did the y-seams by hand. Probably need to rip the bottom right corner, and re-sew it! The pieces were already cut and yet it took more than four hours to construct! I am tired 😦 And I hate paper foundation piecing – keep getting confused how the next piece will be sewed on! Next time, shall English paper piece. Equally accurate and less taxing on my ageing brain.
Decided to clean the blocks of stray threads and iron them when I am ready to join them!
The progress on my just takes 2 mystery quilt has been painfully slow 😦 The mystery quilt by Gay Bomers of http://www.sentimentalstitches.net and Brenda of Dear Jane ran through 2012, and the last set of the 100 blocks that make up this quilt, and suggestions for the border were revealed this month ! I am still stuck in April, May sometime! 😦 😦 😦 But finally, I am planning to go full steam on it from tomorrow, so am making a record of blocks finished
Here are three hand -sewed blocks I finished since I last blogged about this quilt, months ago!
The first applique( Hawaiian look) block uses the back basting technique. I traced the pattern to the wrong side of the background and basted the applique piece over it, turning it in as I went along. It also has reverse appliqued diamonds in the centre.
The second block, Grandma’s Favourite Compass is paper pieced by the EPP method . The circle was hand sewed to the background.
For the third block, I appliqued after tacking the leaves on to paper,like you would for EPP). I then slit the background fabric to remove the paper.
Here are the first 28 blocks put together, to make up Section A of the quilt 🙂
And here are some more completed blocks. The bottom left Cathedral windows block needs some more work, I just discovered!
So this is where we stand today! I do have a few 4-patch strips that I have not photographed, but which count as blocks, anyways!
I have finished tracing out two more applique blocks – which will probably take me ages to finish! I shall sew them in the evenings, sitting in front of the TV. During the day, shall do the machined blocks!
Target – at least 2 blocks per day; 15 by Sunday! Also I am determined to finish all blocks of Section B during 2012…
At the end of each day, I shall post pics of the day’s progress! Do look in to have dekko and drop a line of encouragement!
The determination to win is the better part of winning. Daisaku Ikeda
Loved this block – and the way it magically emerges from the nine patches. First time I did y-seams too, were quite simple! This block really was not as intimidating as it looks, because the perfect instructions. I did make the corner squares 1/8 inch smaller than the given instructions, benefiting from the experience of a fellow participant. Everything fell beautifully into place 🙂
Isn’t it a striking looking block? Maybe, one day, I’ll do a full quilt! Meanwhile, here is a close -up of one of the arms.
This is machine pieced (not foundation pieced, and no hand piecing)
Eight Point Star (November Star?)
This block is hand pieced. And I did not add the seam allowance when cutting the pieces from the template! Which meant that the diamonds (with 4 angular seams) would not really fit into the triangles (with 3 angular seams) and squares (with 2 straight seams) . I managed to put it together with 1/8 inch seams in some places and 1/6″ (?) in others. My red ripper proved to be a great friend!
This also meant that my star was about 4″ instead of 6″ 😦
I decided to add a red and grey border to it to bring it to size.
Here is a view of the wrong side –
Have you seen anything untidier? But I do love the little star in the middle!
And the right side was not so bad after all.
The centre is not really a point – more of a swirl – but I don’t mind that at all. This is my `Framed Whirling 8-Point Star’ 🙂
The quilt started on New Year’s day and new blocks come up every 1st and 15th.
Though, mine is not a red and white quilt! I saw this grey printed poplin fabric in Jodhpur in December end and bought 6 metres of it as I thought it would team up well with the indigo blues that I have. Then, I came across this red and white quilt and thought red and grey would be good combo too. So out came an old south cotton dupatta and we were on our way.
Very soon, dawned the realisation that the difference in weights of fabric was not working too well. So, had to buy some red poplin. Anyways, here are my blocks. One to be completed today, and I am ready for the next lot coming out tomorrow.
I shall upload some photos in my next post – there is some prob in getting them all in!